Sunday 16 September 2012

Migrating CRM 4 to CRM 2011

Hookee.... It's been a while since I posted something in this blog. Looks like my blog is rusty now. It stays here when it is raining, and stay here when it is a sunny day. *What are you talking about Yuli... -_-"

Today is a great day for me. I've been working for almost 13 hour today (yesterday I was working 13 hour too), and now I'm still in my office. So, what am I doing here?

So, this is my story....

Long time ago, my CEO wanted to migrate the Dynamics CRM 4.0 into the Dynamics CRM 2011. My team lead, already done this in test server and staging server. So, we were absolutely ready for migrating. Everything changed when my team lead suddenly resigned from this company. I was chosen as the PIC (people in charge) for Dynamics CRM in my Office.Yeah, right.. I'm just a junior programmer, and I'm in charge in the most critical application in my Office.

So I prepared it a lot. Made a documentation, how to migrate to new CRM 2011 in test server, and it was succeed. This is how I do :
  1. Backup the MSCRM_Config and delete from database server
  2. Install new organization CRM (temp). (Error MSCRM_Config already exist will be occurred if step one is skipped)
  3. Import old organization
  4. Delele temp organization and make old organization as default server
  5. Register the custom Plugin using Plugin Registration Tools
  6. Install Roll up update 1-8 on server
  7. Install SRSDataConnector on database server
  8. Install CRM Email Router
  9. Configure the Email Router
  10. Bug Fixing
  11. Install CRM 2011 client.
So, if I succeed, why am I in here right now.

I messed up, I installed the roll up before I was importing my old organization, and somehow, my database server cannot be reached 17 minutes after I went home yesterday. (Bad luck yuli.. (T_T) )

The result was, my import failed, my database need to be restored. In short, my work yesterday was not used.

After heard that my import failed, My new team lead came to the office in 9 PM. I'm grateful, He is so kind. (Even though he said, that "I'm the one that will be punished by CEO if we failed... No pressure. Haha...".)

Today, I've been here for 13 hour and my import still not finished.

So, my conclusion is.
  1. Never install roll up before you import your old organization.
  2. Never underestimate your task, even if you've already tested it and succeed. (I'm not using my documentation I made, then I went home, and think that the import will not failed. I was so arrogant, but it failed. Stupid me...)
I found out the problem. Here's my answer in Microsoft Forum :

(sorry for my english)
Did you solve this problem? I got the same issue when I was importing CRM 4 Organization to CRM 2011. The problem is in Roll Up 6.
Please see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2710577
Here's the important update in Roll Up 10. "After you apply Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Update Rollup 6, you cannot create new organizations. Additionally, you cannot import organizations."
If you haven't fix this problem. You could install Roll Up 10 then import the organization, or you can import the organization before you install the roll up.

Oh, and then I'm really sorry for someone who wrote a comment in my previous post. Asking about my old program. I don't have any internet connection in my boarding house, so i cannot send it. I'm really sorry.

No comments: